Many universities and other academic institutions around the world use LimitState software - see here.
LimitState offer free unsupported licences to universities and other academic institutions when using their engineering software* exclusively for teaching or research purposes.
How to license
Our software automatically recognises academic networks:
- Download and install the software.
- Make sure your PC is connected to an academic network (to see if your academic network is recognised, try the academic license test page).
- Start the software - an option to "Use in academic mode" will be shown.
- Each time the software is used on your university network, a new 30-day license will be issued by our server. This means that you can use it for up to 30 days away from your University network (e.g. if you take your laptop home).
Teaching resources for LimitState:GEO
If you are interested in using LimitState:GEO as a teaching tool, you may find the following useful:
- Teaching resources developed by the University of Sheffield Geotechnical Engineering Group.
- Background material on Numerical Limit Analysis and Limit State Design.
* Free academic license offer excludes LimitState:FORM, which incorporates third-party software. To acquire LimitState:FORM at a discounted rate for academic use, please contact us.